FL92 video bad

SlowRider305

• Total Posts : 2
FL92 video bad Monday, May 07, 2012 6:14 PM (permalink)
I have a FL92 laptop that was purchased probably 3 years ago from ibuypower.  It has windows vista on it to help with the timeframe.  Anyways the screen is blank and I have been trying to see what it is. I thought originally it was the LCD screen but I no longer think that because I can't get any video out of the VGA port either.  The external monitor doesn't even realize it is plugged into anything which tells me it might be the actual video card.  The laptop boots up cause after a 2 or 3 minutes you hear the windows startup sounds so this tells me the other hardware is fine -- though I can't confirm 100% because I can't see anything...

SO.. I ask... can the video in these laptops be upgraded or replaced?  I would really like to get this fixed because even though it is older it still runs like a champ.

Thanks in advance.

Baffles

• Total Posts : 7992
    Re:FL92 video bad Monday, May 07, 2012 10:46 PM (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure that the GPU in this particular laptop is soldered onto the board, not in a removable module like some newer high end laptops. So a dead GPU would require the replacement of the entire motherboard.

No idea how much that will set you back, but Lenovo charged me $450 to do it in my old thinkpad (it was a $3k laptop to begin with though, so it was worth it to me)

SlowRider305

• Total Posts : 2
      Re:FL92 video bad Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:10 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the info...  I have been doing some digging and seem to have found the same thing about the GPU.

I have also been looking for a motherboard but can't find one.  it is a nice laptop and I hate to just toss it out but if I can't find a motherboard I guess that is what I will have to do.

Thanks again.

Baffles

• Total Posts : 7992
        Re:FL92 video bad Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:43 PM (permalink)
        give tech support a try, they may still be able to get the parts for you, plus you can get an idea of how much it will set you back.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message