Welcome !
Forum Themes:

Problems with GeForce GTX 260M

TMR4122

• Total Posts : 3
Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:26 PM (permalink)
I am trying to play GW2 and I am getting the following error about every 30 seconds: 
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.42 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
    Does not matter if I run the game on the lowest settings or not.  I have cleaned the system completely of any dust and it sits on a cooling fan in a very well venelated area.
    It crashes about once a week in STO, but I can run WoW/LOTRO at full hrottle with no issues.
    I have removed Google chrome and  set the PhysX configuration to point to the card instead of automatic.  Even tried running in windowed and unwindowed mode.
No luck so far.

Specs: 
Battalion 101 M865TU 15" WSXGA+ 1680X1050 Widescreen LCD TFT Notebook
IntelĀ® Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dual-Core Processor (2x 3.06GHz/6MB Cache/1066FSB)
Mobility DDR3 1GB NVIDIA GTX260 PCI-Express 3D Video [M865TU]  Driver is 301.42 [latest]
320 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Notebook Hard Drive
4GB RAM
Virtual memory = 6135MB allocated
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit
    I just bought a new Desktop from IBP and it should be here on the 28th...I wanted to hand this one down to my son when he visits in November as it has been a good comupter until recently.  Would love to fix this one, but if necessary, I will replace the graphics card.  

Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

FloodControl

• Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:43 PM (permalink)
    Try installing the latest BETA driver. It's actually pretty stable, and might have worked out the bugs for the driver you're using. All I know is that since I installed the desktop version of this latest driver for my tower, I've yet to have that message pop up (which I have with older driver versions).

Link:
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/46429

clerity

• Total Posts : 8
      Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Monday, August 27, 2012 6:14 AM (permalink)
      Is this only happening on GW2 or other games as well? 

TMR4122

Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Monday, August 27, 2012 9:08 PM (permalink)
        Thank you for the link...I upgraded to 304.79 and it did not help...then to 306.02 and it got much better, but still fails about every 30 minutes, depending where I am in game.

It is mainly happening in GW2 and is very bad in one certain area, but it has also happened randomly in STO and LOTRO.

FloodControl

• Total Posts : 1165
          Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Monday, August 27, 2012 9:32 PM (permalink)
          Check your power management options in both your system control panel and NVIDIA control panel. Make sure that you're running at maximized performance when plugged in.

Baffles

• Total Posts : 8420
            Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:04 PM (permalink)
            also try out driver sweeper in between reinstallls

sometimes the old driver can leave some corrupted files behind

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

TMR4122

Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:30 PM (permalink)
              Changed the power settings on both the laptop and the graphics card.  Made a difference, but nothing significant.

Tried to get the cleaner and ran into this message: 
              Attention - Guru3D Driver Sweeper has been discontinued as such you will not find any download links here any longer.

Going to try cleaning the old drivers out completely by hand then installing 306.02.

I really appreciate all the help.
              <message edited by TMR4122 on Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:51 PM>

Baffles

• Total Posts : 8420
                Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:39 PM (permalink)
                oh, huh. wonder why they got rid of it

sorry for not checking the link

Yarrkk

• Total Posts : 1
                  Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:05 AM (permalink)
                  I am using the same video card and running into the same problems. I am running 304.79 Beta and I'm still having problems. I have tried SlimDrivers and all the other driver fixers. I changed my page size to the max I could thinking it was a memory issue since it crashes at or around 1,528,496M of memory every time. I don't have any other productive inputs other then letting you know its not just your rig so it might be a problem on ArenaNets side. Keeping my fingers crossed for a patch,,,,,,,

Shayd

• Total Posts : 35
                    Re:Problems with GeForce GTX 260M Friday, September 14, 2012 8:32 AM (permalink)
                    I have Asus G72 with 260M It's driver issue, since I updated to drivers series 3xx.xx It started crashing for me too, they release updates pretty often to fix it There's been one yesterday and so far I got no crashes, keep it up Asus or I'll smack you against wall,

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message