Welcome !
Forum Themes:

Overheating Computer... Is it dry thermal paste, or do I need a new cooling system?

Ethaneus

• Total Posts : 8
Overheating Computer... Is it dry thermal paste, or do I need a new cooling system? Thursday, December 06, 2012 8:52 AM (permalink)
My cooling system is the standard IBP liquid cooling unit. My computer is about 3 years old, and it has had only one other problem, which was a blown PSU. I replaced it myself, and my computer worked for about a month before it shut itself off one day and I got very similar problems to the PSU problem, which might have been fine after all in retrospect. Anyway, my computer starts up, and it just keeps heating itself up until the CPU reaches 115 degrees celsius and shuts off. I have an AMD Phenom II x6 core, so I expect it to produce a lot of heat, but it has never gotten this hot before. However, I thought it always ran a bit hot, around 55-60 degrees celsius during normal use. Is it possible that just the thermal paste has dried up from the high temperatures, or do I need to replace the cooling unit? 

Also, do I need to take out my motherboard to apply new thermal paste? I do not have any static paper to put it on, and I don't want to mess up the motherboard. Is it okay to just apply the paste while it's in the case? 
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. - Ayn Rand

Baffles

• Total Posts : 8420
    Re:Overheating Computer... Is it dry thermal paste, or do I need a new cooling system? Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:14 AM (permalink)
    anything over 100 C is way way way too hot. don't use the computer anymore if its getting to this point since you can cause permanent damage to the CPU if you let it hit it's thermal threshold too much.

you will almost definitely need to replace your liquid cooler. Even if you have poor thermal contact, even with no thermal paste at all, the CPU should not overheat while idling. Its most likely that the pump in your liquid cooler is dead.

You can either purchase another liquid cooler or a regular heat sink and fan.
    hyper 212 is the favorite because it has good performance is is quite cheap.
    http://www.newegg.com/Pro...x?Item=N82E16835103065

installation-wise, i'd be happy to walk you through the setps to remove your liquid cooler and also to install a new cooler. You will not need to remove your motherboard as long as your case has a cutout behind the CPU so you can access the back-plate.

Ethaneus

Re:Overheating Computer... Is it dry thermal paste, or do I need a new cooling system? Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:25 AM (permalink)
      I thank you for the help! I think my case has a cut out in the back, I have an AZZA Spartan case. So I am going to replace the thermal paste along with the cooling unit, and that should be a bit of work. I will let you know if I need help when the parts get here, and I probably will. I am going to purchase the new cooling unit that you recommended, along with arctic silver 5, as it is a great price (10 bucks) for all the nice things people say. 

On another note, I am going to do my best to keep my temperatures quite low. So I think I am going to have to rewire my computer, the cables aren't obstructing too much, but the airflow definitely isn't optimal, especially for the video card.
      The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me. - Ayn Rand

Ethaneus

Re:Overheating Computer... Is it dry thermal paste, or do I need a new cooling system? Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:14 PM (permalink)
        Okay, so I have rethought what I was going to buy. Since the heatsink comes with thermal grease, although not amazing, it will only lower it a few degrees. Instead, I am going to buy another case fan so I can have an exhaust/intake airflow. Just going to get an Apevia fan for like 3 bucks and install it. Anyway, that's about it until my parts come. Your name is wonderful and you are the epitome of helpful and awesome. Good day sir.

Baffles

• Total Posts : 8420
          Re:Overheating Computer... Is it dry thermal paste, or do I need a new cooling system? Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:17 PM (permalink)
          Thanks,

Again, don't hesitate to ask if you need help with the installation

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message