Welcome !
Forum Themes:

Rift FPS issues

Alamein73

• Total Posts : 11
Rift FPS issues Wednesday, January 02, 2013 4:59 PM (permalink)
Hey, so while playing Rift I drop to a horrible frame rate all of a sudden in warfronts.  I put it all on low and still does not work.  Also, it is ONLY warfronts that this happens. I have also upgraded my video card driver. My specs:

i73630QM processor, 8gb 1600 DDR3 ram, GTX660M.

For a while it was running fine with no issues.  Wondering if there are any settings I should be checking in NVidia user panel or in game.  Thanks for any help.

Baffles

• Total Posts : 8420
    Re:Rift FPS issues Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:57 PM (permalink)
    if changing the video settings does not give any difference in results, then its probably not the gpu at fault.

if you can, run the game windowed with a task manager window open and watch CPU usage. see if there is some correlation to this bad framerate and CPU usage.

you can also monitor hard drive access if you open the resource monitor. hard drive access lag usually produces low framerates in bursts. where you will suddenly drop to single digit framerates for a few seconds and then ramp back up.

Alamein73

Re:Rift FPS issues Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:49 PM (permalink)
      Hey Baffles,

I am currently running it windowed and in resource mode.  However this isn't something I'm terribly familiar with how I would interpret the numbers I see, is there something specific l should be looking for with CPU and Hard Drive Disk?

Also I have disabled everything on startup except for MS services.  I could run the game on ultra fine for the past few weeks and then recently experienced these issues.

Thanks
      <message edited by Alamein73 on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 8:52 PM>

Alamein73

Re:Rift FPS issues Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:40 AM (permalink)
        Also based on your explanation of a hard drive issue, where it goes single digit and then ramps up, that doesn't happen so I believe I could cross that off.  I have been able to play WoW on ultra with no issues in large scale PvP as well as Planetside 2 at a decent rate.  This leads me to believe that it could be the CPU in which case I would want to overclock it seeing as how their are no heating issues especially with my cooling pad.

About a month ago I attempted to do this via BIOS but the settings required were not present, since this is pre-built do you have any instructions of how I could squeeze some more performance out of my cpu?  Based on my settings, I should be able to run the game quite well.

Thank you.

Baffles

Re:Rift FPS issues Thursday, January 03, 2013 8:57 AM (permalink)
          overclocking the CPU won't do much unless its getting maxed out. if you are looking in task manager and see CPU usage spike up during this lag, then that would explain it.

I'm assuming you have either a W350 or W370 battalion, which are both clevo chassis.

there is a 3rd party software called throttlestop that lots of people use to adjust CPU performance on laptops since it can override whatever built-in settings the laptop uses

http://www.softpedia.com/...rks/ThrottleStop.shtml

i would be vary careful about overclocking beyond the CPU specifications, the first thing I would try is just "un-throttle" the CPU so that it can run 100% during gaming. lots of laptops will cut power to the CPU during gaming to keep heat and power consumption down.

Alamein73

Re:Rift FPS issues Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:56 PM (permalink)
            Thank you for the advice, I downloaded the software and have it currently set to the Game profile.  If you wouldn't mind taking a look at these screenshots I'd be thankful, since the documentation on this app is not very n00b friendly haha.

Baffles

Re:Rift FPS issues Friday, January 04, 2013 8:53 AM (permalink)
              first try out the presets, just use the gaming preset and see if anything changes, later you can mess around with the individual settings.

At least in the past, what you would do is check first the "Clock Modulation" box, see if it had any effect, then check the "Chipset Clock Mod" box, since the laptop will generally use one or the other to throttle.

there's a pretty nice guide here, explains (easily or otherwise) what each setting does.
              http://forum.notebookrevi...hrottlestop-guide.html

if you find that running this solves the problem, check the second post to see how you can run it every time windows starts instead of having to manually launch it.

WibeX

• Total Posts : 5
                Re:Rift FPS issues Monday, January 14, 2013 2:36 PM (permalink)
                Some older MORPG games run on older engines which does not support quadcores.
                My message probably does not help your issue but I figured I'd let you know this anyways, because I myself was frustrated when that happened to me in the game I played. With that being said, I hope you resolve your issue soon, good luck.
                <message edited by WibeX on Monday, January 14, 2013 2:39 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread