Corsair 550D Asus Rampage IV Extreme Question

nisiandrew

• Total Posts : 4
Corsair 550D Asus Rampage IV Extreme Question Friday, June 21, 2013 1:13 PM (permalink)
I was planning on purchasing an Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard to go with the 550D case, however after researching i've heard that the motherboard does not fit perfectly in the case and the few people who have gotten it to fit have had to seriously modify their 550D case. My question, since it is an option on the Desktop configuration, is whether or not Ibuypower is able to make the motherboard fit somehow, or if it is not a viable option for the case.

My reasons for choosing the RIVE are due to it's superior 3-4 way SLI ability which i plan to do in the future, it's great overclock ability, and the fantastic reviews that have been said about it, as well as ASUS. 

*Also i would prefer not to get another case unless absolutely necessary because i have fallen in love with the 550D
<message edited by nisiandrew on Friday, June 21, 2013 1:18 PM>

FloodControl

• Total Posts : 1148
    Re:Corsair 550D Asus Rampage IV Extreme Question Friday, June 21, 2013 1:48 PM (permalink)
    You'll have some serious issues running SLI configurations and big motherboards like the RIVE in the 550D. It's a smaller midtower, just able to squeeze in the E-ATX form factor, and focuses more on sound deadening than thermal performance. You'll likely see a lot of overheating/thermal throttling with the 550D and a big setup. This would pretty much make the RIVE pointless.

I recommend you look into Corsair's Obsidian line for a similar case style to the 550D. Although IBP does not offer them, you might be able to work out a deal of sending them the case and them assembling the system for you inside of it. Worse comes to worst, you'd have to buy a cheap case from IBP for your system, then transplant everything into a new case more to your liking.

nisiandrew

• Total Posts : 4
      Re:Corsair 550D Asus Rampage IV Extreme Question Friday, June 21, 2013 2:17 PM (permalink)
      The problem is i frankly wouldn't have the time to order from ibuypower in a crappy case and swap it into a new one, i believe i could do it even with my limited knowledge of computers but it would most likely take me an entire day and i just dont see myself having that kind of time in the near future. Anyway, are there any alternative mid tower, or full tower cases on IBUYPOWER that would give adequate cooling and fit the RIVE as well as (somewhat) quiet operation that you would suggest? I dont want original Xbox 360 type whirlwinds. I dont really care for LED's or flashy colors but i wouldn't refuse to look at a case because of them

Baffles

• Total Posts : 7974
        Re:Corsair 550D Asus Rampage IV Extreme Question Friday, June 21, 2013 4:00 PM (permalink)
        Thanks for catching this. This is an error in the configurator options. 

We dont get this configuration very often (actually we've probably never gotten it otherwise it would have been addressed). I agree with floodcontrol that a different case would be better suited to the config due to the airflow restrictions of the 550D. 

3 way SLI is doable in most cases, but you can't use any mid-towers for 4-way since mid towers only have room for 7 slots

If you are still interested in a mid-tower, the phantom 410 is nice and quiet with good cooling, though the shape may not resonate with you. 

FloodControl

• Total Posts : 1148
          Re:Corsair 550D Asus Rampage IV Extreme Question Friday, June 21, 2013 6:38 PM (permalink)
          Like Baffles said, most of the cases offered by IBP will be good, it's just the 550D that's kinda the black sheep. If you want one of the available cases, the Vengeance C70 case is still a pretty square case with decent reviews.

As far as noise issue, I've got a HAF922, which is probably one of the most ventilated mid-towers you can go with, and I don't have too much an issue with fan noise (even with 4x120 mm and 2x200 mm fans running). The biggest contributor to case noise is usually the GPU fan when it breaks the ~60% speed barrier. If you have good airflow in your case or you choose to go with a GPU with multiple fans (EVGA SC2, MSI TwinFrozr, Gigabyte Windforce, ASUS CUII, etc.), you won't have much of an issue.

Baffles

• Total Posts : 7974
            Re:Corsair 550D Asus Rampage IV Extreme Question Friday, June 21, 2013 8:38 PM (permalink)
            With the HAF I usually recommend a fan controller. Under load its no problem but its a bit loud for my tastes when the computer idles.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message