cz-17- wireless disconnect after upgrade to windows 8.1

shakespeare

• Total Posts : 14
cz-17- wireless disconnect after upgrade to windows 8.1 Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:53 PM (permalink)
Hello,I purchased my c-17 about a year ago. I am very happy with it, but I recently upgraded to windows 8.1 and concurrently appear to have encountered a new issue with my Intel Ultimate-N 6300 agn wireless adapter...Not sure if the issue is the adapter or some driver/software setting related to windows 8.1....it SEEMS like when I reset the adapter as ADMIN I can see available networks again and get a connection beyond limited....Is there a good step by step trouble shooting guide to determine if the issue is the wireless adapter or something else? I did re-download the WLAN drivers in the C-17 driver link....but the drivers appear to appear and disappear...when I am connected to the internet and run the INTEL wireless tests...I get passed on all steps (HARDWARE TEST, RADIO TEST ETC...), but when I cannot connect to the internet and I run the test...I immediately get a hardware test failure...when I pull up device manager and view the wireless adapter it says there are no drivers?! I rebooted and can connect now....and passed all tests also....Where do I start digging into troubleshooting the connections? IS WIndows 8.1 to blame? I also uninstalled the Killer ethernet software as I read on these forums that that might be an issue, but it didn't help and frankly hadn't caused a problem in the last year in any case.  Should I try doing a Windows system refresh? I think the first step is trying to learn where the best error trapping logs might be when the adapter stops (loses permissions?)...any and all insights are greatly appreciated.Thanks,Matt

system specs:2012 Halloween Valkyrie CZ-17 BTS Laptop 
1 x  Case (Valkyrie CZ-17 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, E-SATA, USB 3.0, Illuminated Keyboard, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter - Original Metallic black))  1 x  Processor (Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.4GHz/6MB L3 Cache)))  1 x  Memory (32GB [8GB x 4] 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Laptop Memory] - Corsair or Major Brand **FREE Upgrade to 32GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill**))  1 x  Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M 4GB GDDR5 Video w/ NVIDIA Optimus [CZ-17]))  1 x  Primary Hard Drive (500 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive - **Free Upgrade to 750GB 7200rpm SATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive**))  1 x  Data Hard Drive (None))  1 x  Optical Drive (6X Blu-Ray-R/8x Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + 24x CD-R/RW Combo Drive [CZ-17]))  1 x  Sound Card (HD Audio with THX TrueStudio Pro))  1 x  Network Card (Killer E2200 Gaming Networking))  1 x  Operating System (Windows 8 Pro + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!] - 64-bit))  1 x  Warranty (Standard Warranty Service - Standard One(1) Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support))  1 x  Rush Service (Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days))  1 x  USB Ports (Built-in 2x USB 2.0 Ports + 3x USB 3.0 Port [Laptop]))  1 x  Video Camera (Built-in 3.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera))  1 x  Internal Wireless Network Adapter (Intel Ultimate-N 6300 802.11 a/b/g/n 450Mbps Dual-Band Wi-Fi))  1 x  Flash Media Reader / Writer (Built-in 4-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]))  1 x  Carrying Case (None))  1 x  Free Stuff ([FREE] - Logitech G300 Mouse with Nine Programmable Controls - Free with purchase of Intel Core i7 Gaming Laptop))   

shakespeare

Re:cz-17- wireless disconnect after upgrade to windows 8.1 Monday, November 25, 2013 5:21 PM (permalink)
    some errors I see:

The description for Event ID 5002 from source NETwNe64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
    The following information was included with the event:
    \Device\NDMP1
    Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN

From everything I can find, the real issue is a known problem with Intel's wireless adapter. It is working much better ( it did fail once), since I fell back to Windows 8 from 8.1
    I really would like to upgrade, but don't see an easy solution.

shakespeare

Re:cz-17- wireless disconnect after upgrade to windows 8.1 Thursday, November 28, 2013 5:54 AM (permalink)
      Problem is definitely still occurring. When the Wireless adapter is reset as admin it corrects itself for a random period of time. I'm still running windows 8 and have nothing else running yet that might potentially impact it...no anti malware of anti virus  has been re-installed yet.  I am thinking it is time for a new wireless card. Any suggestions? 

Baffles

• Total Posts : 8420
        Re:cz-17- wireless disconnect after upgrade to windows 8.1 Monday, December 02, 2013 10:06 AM (permalink)
        before ditching the card, try grabbing the newest wireless driver from intel:
        https://downloadcenter.in...%C2%AE+Ultimate-N+6300

there was a version that was released on 11/14 that is windows 8.1 certified

shakespeare

Re:cz-17- wireless disconnect after upgrade to windows 8.1 Monday, December 02, 2013 8:28 PM (permalink)
          Thank you for the link.

I upgraded to the latest drivers at the liink but noticed that when I go to device manager the listed driver date and version isn't the same 16.6 one released on 11/13/2013 - I than ran the Intel driver utility and it stated I was at the correct 16.6 version....even though the driver under device manager shows a driver from 9/23/2013..note...it did change from August to September in device manager...but I really was hoping to see a november 2013 date and 16.6 driver version number change...

current driver is : 15.10.4.2 in device manager (9/23/2015)
          On a slightly different note.....If my DSL modem is a Wireless N modem (C1000A - CenturyLink) and the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 is also an 'N' modem.....shouldn't my connection speeds by greater than 144Mbs? I was reading where some people on the Intel forum were getting 300 or 450 Mbs...and wondering what I am doing wrong. Probably need to start a different thread to discuss connection speed fun though....:)

Baffles

• Total Posts : 8420
            Re:cz-17- wireless disconnect after upgrade to windows 8.1 Tuesday, December 03, 2013 9:02 AM (permalink)
            first we'll make sure that your errors and disconnects go away

I believe that with the valkyrie, the maximum link speed is 300 mbps, since it does not have the 3 antennas needed to get 450. Wireless signals are very fickle when it comes to negotiating speeds, sometimes the router needs to have certain settings enabled. we'll figure that out if we can get your other issue solved

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message